UPDATE!! The Building is up and half way done!
“THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE PROBLEM,” says Robin Smith, FNP. “We are losing our health care in the Eel River Valley at a rapid pace – I would say at a crisis pace. The demand for primary medical care is overwhelming the existing providers. As more medical providers retire or relocate, it makes it harder on those who stay. Our present medical offices and clinics are outdated, small and inadequate. More people are seeking care and we want to see more patients. We simply do not have the resources to bridge this gap and we need a new model.”
The US Department of Health and Human Services considers the Eel River Valley to be:
- A Medically Underserved Area;
- A Medically Underserved Population; and,
- A Health Professional Shortage Area for medical, dental and mental health practitioners
IN THE SHORT-TERM, Humboldt Medical Group (HMG) approached Open Door Community Health Centers and together new health care options have been created for our community. HMG and Redwood Internal Medicine have been redefined into:
- Fortuna Community Health Center and
- Ferndale Community Health Center
The McLean Foundation and Open Door have partnered together with support from the City of Fortuna, to create a new facility in the Eel River Valley that is:
- Large enough to serve the community.
- Linked directly to telemedicine.
- Making the patient the key member of the team.
- A State-of-the-Art diagnostic and treatment center.
- Attractive to help recruit new doctors to the Eel River Valley.
- An inviting space that encourages health, activity and involvement in health care
Click here to find out more information about the Fortuna Community Health Center